Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Turkey potato casserole and Breakfast burritos

Hey guys sorry I haven't been on here much, things have just been hectic haha!  I have a new blog now for my Disney College program so please go check it out as well!  http://codisneygirl.blogspot.com  I'm having a lot of fun with that one and it will be even more fun when I make it down to Disney!  As far as this blog goes I'm not sure how much I'll be able to post on it.  I'm hoping to still be able to come up with a few recipes each week, we'll see!  If anything maybe I can talk about the different healthy foods that Disney has to offer as well as my recipes just to keep it going!
This week I haven't really cooked much, just haven't been in the mood to do it because been so busy with school, and my allergies are taking a good toll on me haha.  But don't worry I've been pretty good with my food choices...for the most part.
My two food posts today are both comfort foods with a healthy twist.  The first is a healthier rendition of Tatter-tot Casserole. My mom use to make this while I was growing up and I always enjoyed it!  My best friend absolutely loves it as well.  The traditional one is made with ground beef and tatter-tots, so I sat down and tried to figure out how I could make it some what healthier haha.  I came up with the idea to use ground turkey in place of the beef, and then just some shredded potato in place of the Tatter-tots.  So here you go hope you enjoy!  Calorie count - 333

Turkey Potato Casserole



3 oz ground turkey (93% lean)
1/4 C low fat cream of mushroom soup
1/4 C low fat milk
1/4 potato (shredded)
1/4 C shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 C corn



Preheat the oven to 375
Brown ground turkey in a pan over medium heat.  Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
In a separate bowl combine milk and cream of mushroom soup - whisk together.
After the turkey is done put down in a casserole dish along with the corn.  Top that with the cream of mushroom and milk mix.  Then top with shredded cheese followed by shredded potato.  Salt the potato.
Bake for 30 minutes, then turn the oven onto broil and broil for 5 minutes to get the potato nice and crispy.
Enjoy!



My next recipe I use to make all the time with another best friend of mine for breakfasts.  The breakfast burrito!!  mmmm just thinking about it now I might have to go eat one haha.  Since I live on my own now it's kinda hard to just make one of these babies.  So I came up with making several and just freezing the others.  This makes it quick and convient for on the go mornings.  All you do is wrap them in a paper towel and heat on high for  a minute in the microwave!  Fantastic!!  Along with my other comfort food I made this one a little healthier haha.  So here we go! Calorie count - 264

Breakfast Burritos

    2 oz Chorizo 1/2 potato 1 T butter 3/4 C. all egg white 1/4 C shredded mexican cheese

Cook chorizo over med high heat for about 7-8 minutes. remove and drain off grease on paper towel. Peel and shred potato and cook in same pan as the chorizo. Season with desired amount of salt. Brown for about 10 minutes. Add chorizo back to pan and add egg whites. Cook until egg whites are no longer runny.
Heat up tortillas in microwave for 20 seconds. Starting with one tortila add about 2 T of cheese, then 1/5 of the mixture. (Then I like to top with hot sauce) and roll up. Repeat for rest of tortillas. Enjoy!
I dont have a pic of the breakfast Burritos cause they're just wrapped in plain tortilla, noting spectacular haha.


    5 whole wheat tortillas

No comments:

Post a Comment